These hot cross buns are made using the an enriched dough technique and it makes them so tasty! I had some vegan custard left over from another baking venture and I used that to pipe on the crosses (after the second proof before they were baked) and it worked surprisingly well. You can use the traditional technique and combine 1/2 cup of flour with enough water to make a paste and pipe on the crosses before baking or bake them first and then pipe on the crosses with a simple water icing.
1 + 1/4 cup non dairy milk
1/3 cup vegan butter or margarine
1/4 cup + 1 tsp coconut sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 packet instant yeast
1 tsp salt
zest of 1 orange
zest of 1 lemon
3 cups flour
1 cup dried currants, sultanas or raisins or a combination
1. Place the milk, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 tsp of coconut sugar in a saucepan on a low heat. When the butter has completely melted remove from the stove and set aside for 5-10mins.
2. Once the mixture has cooled to a lukewarm temperature add the yeast and stir well (if this mix is too hot when you add the yeast, the yeast will be killed, it should be warm to the touch but not hot).
3. Once the yeast has been added, set aside for another 10mins or until the mixture becomes frothy.
4. In a separate bowl combine the flour, remaining sugar, the zest from the citrus and salt. Pour the yeast mix into the flour and combine with a wooden spoon until the dough just comes together. Transfer to a clean floured surface and knead for 5-10 mins. The dough will be relatively sticky, avoid adding any extra flour if possible.
5. Add the fruit to the dough, folding the dough and gently kneading until the fruit is fully combined with the dough.
6. Lightly oil the dough and place it back into the bowl. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 45mins - 1 hr.
7. Once the dough has doubled in size pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, divide into 12 balls and place, evenly spread apart, on a baking try lined with grease proof paper.
8. Set aside to prove for 15mins. If making traditional flour paste crosses make the paste while you wait and pipe them on just before baking.
9. Bake the buns for 15 - 20mins and allow to cool before serving.