We had hash browns and hollandaise in the fridge so the natural progression from there is to cook an entire bag of black beans and turn them into patties for breakfast burgers. These have a smokey flavour and of course can be used in combination with any of your favourite burger fillings.
Makes 6 patties
for the patties
1 onion (finely chopped)
2-3 stalks celery (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
half block tofu (170g approx.)
650g cooked (or 1.5 tins) black beans
1 TBSP red wine
1 TBSP tamari
1 TBSP coconut aminos
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 TBSP chickpea flour
to serve (for 6 burgers)
6 burger buns
1 bunch steamed kale
4 tomatoes (thickly slice)
6 hash browns
1 recipe of our vegan hollandaise
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
2. Add the onions and celery to a saucepan with a drizzle of oil on medium heat. Once the onions are translucent add the garlic, spices and herbs to the pan.
3. Add the black beans. Crumble the tofu as finely as possible and add to the pan.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 10-15mins.
5. Shape the mixture into 6 patties, place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20mins.
6. Smother the burgers with hollandaise and serve.