I realise that Vegemite is a controversial ingredient but these scrolls are an Aussie classic that I couldn't resist vegan-ising! Of course you can always leave the Vegemite out if the thought makes you crinkle nose but if there was ever an opportunity to introduce this icon of Australian culture into your diet these savoury scrolls are it.
Makes 6 large or 12 small scrolls
1 cup and 2 TBSPs non-dairy milk
1/2 cup and 2 TBSPs vegan butter
1 packet (7g) instant active yeast
1 TBSP coconut sugar
1.5 cups unbleached wholemeal flour
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBSPs Vegemite or your preferred yeast spread
125g of your favourite vegan cheese (grated)
1 small 12 cup muffin tray or 1 large 6 cup muffin tray lightly greased
1. Place the milk, 1/2 cup of butter and coconut sugar in a saucepan on a low heat. When the butter has completely melted remove from the stove and set aside for 5-10mins.
2. When the mixture is lukewarm add the yeast and stir well (if this mix is too hot when you add the yeast, the yeast will be killed, it should be warm to the touch but not hot).
3. Once the yeast has been added, set aside for another 10mins or until the mixture becomes frothy.
4. In a separate bowl combine the flour and salt. Pour the yeast mix into the flour and combine with a wooden spoon until the dough just comes together. Transfer to a clean floured surface and knead for 2-3 mins.
5. Lightly oil the dough and place it back into the bowl. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hr.
6. Once the dough has doubled in size pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a long rectangle. Spread with the remaining butter followed by the Vegemite and sprinkle the dough with 3/4 of the cheese.
7. Tightly roll up the dough from the long edge and then evenly divide into 6 large or 12 small segments using a sharp knife.
8. Place the scrolls into your greased muffin tins, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, cover with a tea towel and allow to prove for another 15mins.
9. Bake for 15-20mins or until golden.