Oven baking the veggies for this sauce enhances their rich flavour and adds a beautiful sweetness. Although the bake times are long the preparation is incredibly quick and if you're not up to making your own cheese sauce (although I highly recommend!) simply top with dairy free cheese shreds.
for the sauce
1 tin tomatoes
1 red onion quartered
4 medium garlic cloves crushed
5 roma tomatoes cut in half
1 red capsicum quartered
1 yellow capsicum quartered
100g black kalamata olives pitted and roughly chopped
1 TBSP mixed herbs
2 bay leaves
10 (small handful) sprigs of thyme
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 TBSPs of coconut aminos*
1 cup of red wine
1 cup water
4 cups of whole spelt pasta noodles
1 recipe of cashew cheese
olives for serving (optional)
1. Pre heat the oven to 200C/400F.
2. Place all the ingredients for the sauce into a baking tray, cover with tin foil and cook for 1.5hrs. Uncover and cook for another 30mins.
3. 20mins before the veggies are done cook the pasta and set aside.
4. Once the veggies are cooked (remove and discard the whole herbs) transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
5. Place the pasta in the baking tray, cover with the tomato sauce, mix well and top with the cheese sauce.
6. Turn the oven onto grill and bake in the oven for 5-10mins.
*I use coconut aminos for a sweetness and an umami flavour you can sub for 1 TBSP of tamari/soy sauce and 1 TBSP of coconut sugar/brown sugar.