for the cake
1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup semolina
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBSP ground flax
1 cup water
120ml sunflower oil
300g coconut sugar
juice and zest of 1 orange plus 1 orange for decorating
for the syrup
juice and zest of 1 small lemon
juice and zest of 1 orange
2 TBSPs coconut sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
2. Slice one of the orange's into thin rounds and cut each round in half. Grease a 23cm ring pan and place the orange slice on the bottom of the pan.
3. Sift the flour, semolina, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
4. In a separate bowl combine the ground flax, water, oil, coconut sugar, orange zest and juice.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until well combined, pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 50mins.
6. Add the syrup ingredients to a small pot and bring to the boil. Continue to stir until the mixture reduces to a syrup. Once the cake has been removed from the oven spike it with a tooth pick or skewer and pour the syrup over the cake.
7. Once the cake has cooled completely, slide a knife around the outer and inner rim of the tin and flip the cake over onto a serving dish. Serve with coconut yoghurt or dairy free ice cream.