I finally made some decent granola! Considerably sized chucks with a strong staying power and a satisfying crisp. Perhaps you'll brush this off as a minor achievement but conquering a sugar free, vegan granola with the perfect texture and no dehydrator has been eating away at my soul!
for the granola
1 cup of dates
1 TBSP of warm water
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 TBSPs of chia seeds
1 cup of raw nuts (I used half pecans, half walnuts)
1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds
1 cup oats
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
for the fruit
4 large peaches
4 medium pears
12 - 16 apricots
the juice and zest of 1 orange
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 TBSP coconut sugar or that of your choice
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 cup of blueberries fresh or frozen to finish
2 medium baking trays lined with parchment paper
1. Pre-heat the oven 160C/230F.
2. To make the granola process the dates in a food processor until you achieve a paste. Add the water and oil and pulse to combine until the paste becomes more fluid. Add the chia seeds and pulse 2 - 3 times until just combined, remove from the processor and set aside in a medium sized bowl.
3. To the processor add the nuts and oats and pulse until they are roughly chopped add the seeds, vanilla and salt. Pulse 2 - 3 times until just combined.
4. Remove the nut mixture from the processor and add to the dates, mix until well combined. Spread evenly (about 1 cm thick) onto one of the baking tray's and bake for 30mins, giving the mixture a stir every 10 mins. If time allows turn the oven off and let the granola dry out in the cooling oven.
5. For the fruit, cut the peaches, pears and apricots in half, removing the seeds and stones. Add the remaining ingredients and coat well before baking for 30mins.
6. Add the blueberries to the fruit before serving and enjoy with ample amounts of granola and dairy free yoghurt.