Note: that before taking on this recipe place your cans of coconut in the fridge the night before and soak 1 cup of cashew nuts. The ice cream will need to set in the freezer for 4-6hrs.
Serves 6 - 8
for the ice-cream
50g of fresh mint leaves stripped from the stalks plus a few extra sprigs for serving
1/8 tsp of mint extract or essential oil
2 cans of good quality coconut cream from the fridge
1 cup of soaked cashews
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup of raw cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP of ground pistachio nuts (optional)
for the cookies
1/2 cup of vegan butter or dairy free spread
1/2 cup of coconut sugar
1/4 cup of coconut milk or your choice of non-dairy milk (water works too)
1/2 cup of raw cacao powder
1.5 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
high speed blender
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F.
2. For the ice-cream remove the solid layer of coconut cream from the top of the cans and add to the blender with the cashew nuts. To blend the coconut cream and cashew nuts add the remaining coconut milk from one of the cans, 1/4 cup at a time.
3. When the mixture is completely smooth, add the fresh mint and extract, cacao, vanilla and coconut sugar. Blend until well combined. Pour into a bowl and allow to chill in the freezer for 15-20mins
4. Make the cookies by whipping the butter with the coconut sugar until well combined. Add the coconut milk and continue to whip with the beaters until light in texture and colour.
5. Sift the flour, cacao, salt and baking powder into the mixture and mix until the dough just comes together.
6. Shape the dough into 12 - 16 balls (depending on the size you desire), place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly press into rounds with a fork. Bake for 10 - 12mins.
7. Remove the ice-cream from the freezer and whip the mixture with the electric beater for 2-3mins to aerate. Pour the ice-cream into a container and allow to freeze for 4-6hrs.
8. To serve, place an ice-cream scoop into a cup of hot water, shake off the excess water from scoop and place a serving of ice-cream between two cookies. Decorate with pistachios and shredded fresh mint.