Smitten Kitchen is one of my all time favourite food blogs, she has heaps of vegetarian recipes and a solid archive of vegan ones too. This recipe is the sugar free version of Deb's date breakfast squares.
1.5 cups of dates roughly chopped
3/4 cup of orange juice
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup tahini
3/4 cup quick oats
1 cup of wholemeal cake flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F
2. Combine dates, orange juice and orange zest in a small pan over medium heat, bring to a gentle simmer and cook until the dates have softened completely.
3.In a separate pan melt the coconut oil over a low heat and add the spices, gently warm for 2 minutes. Add the tahini and stir until softened.
4. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients and stir in the tahini mix until you have a crumb like consistency.
5. Line a 20cm baking tray with parchment paper, divide the crumb mixture in two and press half of it firmly into the base of the tin (the mix is pretty thin but do not fear!), spread the date mix onto the base and top with the remaining crumb.
6. Bake for 25mins and cut into triangles once completely cooled.
Alterations: sub peanut butter or any other nut butter for tahini. If you don't have orange juice water works just fine, you can juice the orange that you get the zest from and add that in too.