Makes 3 - 4 serves
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup of steel cut oats
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 cup of sultanas
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 tsp ground turmeric plus a 1/4 tsp extra
1 tsp fresh ginger grated
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 medium carrots finely grated
1. Combine the oats and sultanas in a bowl, cover completely with boiling water.
2. Melt the coconut oil on a low heat in a small pot add in 1 tsp of ground turmeric, grated ginger and remaining spices and salt. Gently warm the spices for a minute or two.
3. Finely grate the carrots and stir into the oats.
4. Add this mixture to the pot with the spices with 1/2 - 1 cup of water and bring to a gentle simmer.
5. Continue to stir the mixture to prevent it from sticking until cooked (about 10mins.).
6. Add the 1/4 tsp of ground turmeric before serving to brighten the colour.
7. Serve with your choice of toppings
Alteration: soaking your oats makes them easier to digest, if you have time do the first step of this recipe with cold water the night before you make the porridge.